- Postdoc, Electrical Engineering, The University of New Mexico, 2019
- Ph. D., Electrical Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2016
- M. Sc., Electrical Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2014
- B. Sc. Electrical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 2012
Awards & Honors
- Featured in Semiconductor Today Magazine, Non-polar GaN-based VCSEL diode with nanoporous distributed Bragg reflector, Apr 2019
- Listed as Top-20 most cited Applied Physics Letters papers, Dec 2018
- Featured in Semiconductor Today Magazine, Opening up bandwidth for visible light communication technology, Feb 2018
- Featured in UNM News Room, UNM researchers tackle next gen power devices, Feb 2018
- Featured in Advanced Science News, Polarity control and residual strain in ZnO epilayers, PSS Showcase, Dec 2017
- Editor’s Pick, Optics Express, July 2017
- Selected Journal Cover, Physica Status Solidi-Rapid Research Letter (PSS-RRL), Sep 2016
- Outstanding Graduate Research Award, College of Engineering, VCU, May 2015
- Ranked 57th out of over 400,000 students in Iran National Universities Entrance Examination, Jun 2007
Morteza Monavarian is currently a Senior Research Scientist at Materials Department at University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB). Prior to joining UCSB, he was a Postdoctoral Fellow at Center for High‐Technology Materials at the University of New Mexico for 3 years. He received his MS and PhD in Electrical Engineering from Virginia Commonwealth University in 2014 and 2016, respectively and his BS degree in Electrical Engineering from Sharif University of Technology (Iran) in 2012. His research focuses and interests include crystal hetero/homoepitaxy, fabrication, and characterization of III‐nitrides; selective‐area grown nanostructures; high‐speed and high‐efficiency LEDs; Intersubband transition-based THz frequency emitters; optical metasurfaces, quantum systems, laser diodes; superluminescent diodes; vertical‐cavity surface‐emitting lasers; photodiodes; high‐electron‐mobility transistors; and power diodes. He has authored or co-authored over 45 peer-reviewed journal and conference proceeding publications and holds 3 provisional patents.
- M. Monavarian, A. Rashidi, and D. Feezell, A Decade of Nonpolar and Semipolar III-Nitrides: A Review of Successes and Challenges, Physica Status Solidi(a) 216 (1), 1800628 (2019).
- M. Monavarian, G. Pickrell, A. Aragon, I. Stricklin, M. H. Crawford, A. A. Allerman, A. M. Armstrong, and D. Feezell, High-voltage regrown nonpolar m-plane vertical pn diodes: A step toward future selective-area-doped power switches, IEEE Electron Device Letters 40 (3), 387 – 390 (2019)
- S. M. Mishkat-Ul-Masabih, A. Aragon, M. Monavarian, T. S. Luk, and D. Feezell, Electrically injected nonpolar GaN-based VCSELs with lattice-matched nanoporous distributed Bragg reflector mirrors, Applied Physics Express 12 (3), 036504 (2019).
- S. M. Mishkat-Ul-Masabih, T. S. Luk, M. Monavarian, and D. Feezell, Polarization-pinned emission of a continuous-wave optically pumped nonpolar GaN-based VCSEL using nanoporous distributed Bragg reflectors, Optics Express 27 (7), 9495 – 9501 (2019).
- A. Rashidi, M. Monavarian, A. Aragon, and D. Feezell, Exclusion of injection efficiency as the primary cause of efficiency droop in semipolar (20-2-1) InGaN/GaN light-emitting diodes, Applied Physics Letters 113, 031101 (2018).
- M. Monavarian, A. Rashidi, A. Aragon, M. Nami, S. H. Oh, S. P. DenBaars, and D. Feezell, Trade-off between bandwidth and efficiency in semipolar (20-2-1) InGaN/GaN single- and multiple-quantum well light-emitting diodes, Applied Physics Letters 112, 191102 (2018).
- A. Rashidi, M. Monavarian, A. Aragon, D. Feezell, Nonpolar m-Plane InGaN/GaN Micro-Scale Light-Emitting Diode with 1.5 GHz Modulation Bandwidth, IEEE Electron Device Letters 39(4), 520-523 (2018).
- M. Monavarian, A. Rashid, A. A. Aragon, S. H. Oh, A. K. Rishinaramangalam, S. P. DenBaars, and D. Feezell, Impact of crystal orientation on the modulation bandwidth of InGaN/GaN lightemitting diodes, Applied Physics Letters 112, 041104 (2018).
- M. A. Reshchikov, N. M. Albarakat, M. Monavarian, V. Avrutin, and H. Morkoc, Thermal quenching of the yellow luminescence in GaN, Journal of Applied Physics 123, 161520 (2018).
- M. Monavarian, A. Rashidi, A. Aragon, S. H. Oh, M. Nami, S. P. DenBaars, and D. Feezell, Explanation of low efficiency droop in semipolar (20-2-1) InGaN/GaN LEDs through evaluation of carrier recombination coefficients, Optics Express 25, 19343 (2017).
- M. A. Reshchikov, J. D. McNamara, F. Zhang, M. Monavarian, A. Usikov, H. Helava, Yu. Makarov, and H. Morkoc, Zero-phonon line and fine structure of the yellow luminescence band in GaN, Physical Review B 94, 035201 (2016).
Full list of publications can be found at my Google scholar profile.